“There is no country in the world with the diversity, confidence and talent and black pride like Nigeria ”
— Binyavanga Waina
I recently shared some insights about my country and culture, if you are looking to read more about Nigeria, her people and heritage kindly click here.
That being said, let’s get down to today’s prompt.
I have compiled a list of 20 surprising or not so surprising facts about my great country as the case may be.
So, here goes my list:
1. Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country, with over 200 million citizens.
2. It is the largest producer of crude oil in Africa.
3. The longest canopy walkway in Africa is located in Lagos, Nigeria.
4. Christianity and Islam are the two major religions practiced.
5. The Niger River is West Africa’s largest river.
6. The largest city in Africa in terms of population is Lagos, with a population of over 21 million.
7. Nigeria has the largest diversity of butterfly in Africa.
8. The longest bridge in West Africa is the 3rd mainland bridge located in Lagos, Nigeria.
9. The Jos Plateau Indigo bird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state, Nigeria.
10. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colors, is found only in South-eastern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.
11. The Ibadan malimbe is a rare species of bird that is found only in south-western part of Nigeria, including the city Ibadan which its named after.
12. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth.
13. The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world.
14. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world.
15. With a net worth of over $16.1bn, Nigeria’s Aliko Dangote is the richest black person in the world.
16. Africa’s oldest boat – and the third oldest boat in the world – was discovered in Yobe. The Dufana Canoe is over 6,500 years old.
17. Nigeria’s movie industry is known as “Nollywood” and it is the second largest movie industry in the world.
18. Nigeria has the highest paid legislators in the entire world. I am not proud of this because Nigeria also has the 4th highest number of poor, living under a dollar a day in the entire world.
19. Nigeria has 5 of the 10 richest pastors in the entire world, with net worth’s according to Forbes, from $10-150 million. I am not proud of this as well.
20. This may seem weird but the happiest people on the planet are actually Nigerians.
Feel free to share more facts I left out or any uncommon thing about your own country if you are not a Nigerian.
Happy Sunday to you.💕
I am going to be doing some reflective thinking and writing here and there. I would really love to know what you are up to in the comment section.