I have taught different classes of students, from high school to kindergarten and to be honest, they all bring their own degrees of exhaustion.
Currently, I teach a bunch of 7-8-year-olds and I must say that teaching is pretty much a walk in a park….except that the park is Jurassic Park.
[Recommended article: Educating Struggling Kids 101 ]
Nevertheless, there are a lot of things I look forward to every day. So, I am going to share with you 10 awesome things I love about being an elementary school teacher.
1. The Generous ComplimentsKids are professionals in dishing an overload of compliments. Every single day I get a bunch of the most heartwarming compliments and I almost always have those teary awwwww moments.
2. You get to be their OmniscienceThey are always in awe of how much you know. It is always cute when they ask you something like “so, what is 20*15?” and you say 300 in a split second and they go 😲😱 like you just hacked into NASA’s database.
3. You get free hugsThere is no other job where you get as many free hugs.
4. They occasionally call you mom😂This comes off as awkward but also very sweet in a way.
5. You get to laugh at so many thingsFrom their jokes and wack attempt at humour, to some awkwardly misspelled word that turns out to be something children should have no business with, to their unending inquisitive questions and painfully honest answers.
And what makes it even more hilarious is the fact that you have to act serious.
6. All the holidaysOkay, this is actually the dopest thing about being a teacher, the fact that you have all these holidays to yourself.
7. You are allowed to be silly.Your inner-child is allowed to come out and play.
8. The aha!💡MomentsThe look of realization on their faces when they finally get a concept is priceless.
9. You have a broad appreciation for a variety of subjects.This is one huge advantage of being an elementary school teacher. What I love most about this is the fact that I can appreciate my pupil’s strengths and not just see their weaknesses.
A child who struggles in maths can wow me in science or creative arts or music or any other subject.
10. The I-did-it! Moments💪This is the best thing I love about teaching kids. The excitement they get when they accomplish a task successfully without assistance, it makes me feel like a proud mom of 12.
Let me hear from you in the comment section. What do you love about your job?